Compulsive Gambling: Interesting Outreach with Physicians

Community Educators

Moderators: Administrator, tammy rigsby

AJFCS

Compulsive Gambling: Interesting Outreach with Physicians

Post by AJFCS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:20 pm

December is a month where I spend a lot of time marketing and socializing with various medical personnel. Activities range from dropping off holiday cards, attending seasonal networking events, or traditional marketing calls.

Now to the point... In one of my outreach visits, I came across a Mayo Clinic trained Physician who is new to Palm Beach County. As part of the traditional elevator speech, we got into talking about what I do and what the agency does and when compulsive gamling came up, he told me that the Mayo Clinic has developed special screening tools and special protocol for treating compulsive gamblers and that the Mayo Clinic System consistently updates both their screening and treatment.

I found an article below that sheds some light on what procedure for new patients who may be compulsive gamblers.

Just thought it would be interesting for everyone to know that some groups and organizations are proactively working on this issue and it is a breath of fresh air to work with Physicians who have some insight and not in need of 100% education.

Preparing for your appointment: Potential Gambling Addition
By Mayo Clinic staff

If you've made the choice to seek help for your gambling, you've taken a huge first step. Start by talking to your primary care doctor. If it seems that you have a serious problem, you'll likely be referred to a mental health provider for further evaluation and treatment. These suggestions can help you get the most from your appointments:

Write down all the feelings you're experiencing, even if they seem unrelated to your problem. Be sure to note what triggers your gambling, whether you've tried to resist the urge to gamble, and the effect that gambling has had on your life.
Write down key personal information, including any major stresses or recent life changes.
Make a list of all medications, as well as any vitamins or supplements, that you're taking. Better yet, take the original bottles and a written list of the dosages and directions.