3 years clean, what a change my life has had....

General Forum

Moderator: Administrator

horrorfan

3 years clean, what a change my life has had....

Post by horrorfan » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:38 pm

Well, I am a few days away from 3 years of abstinance. As I reflect back on the last 3 years of recovery I have made some profound changes in my life. My relationships have improved greatly, I am more willing to help others instead of being self centered. I have some stability in my life and more importantly, a great deal of serenity. Serenity is what most people in recovery strive for. The anxiety I used to feel everyday when I was gambling was just destroying me. I can now enjoy things in life without rushing or trying to push my way to the front so to speak. Although I have made great strides, there are many things I still need to work on in my life and some of them, I may very well be working on until the day I die. Realizing this is important to me. There is no cure for this addiction, but blissful recovery is possible. It is not easy, but it is so sweet. Take it one day at a time and always remember that the monkey may be off your back, but the circus is still in town.

larry1952

amen

Post by larry1952 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Been in recovery 16 years and what an incredible difference. The contrasts of the way my life was when I was gambling as opposed to today are remarkable. I never dreamed that it was possible to stop gambling, nor did I have a clue as to how I could accomplish abstinance. I was in the deepest darkest hole one could imagine. I was emotionally, intellectually and spiritually crushed. Had no family left as I had alienated everyone and did not even attempt to have a girlfriend, as I did not want to subject anyone else to me.
Today, my life is not perfect, however I have learned, accepted and understand the 12 steps of recovery. I have all the things in life that I dreamed of as a younger man. Our family, including a precious 5 year old boy are thriving and happy. I am happily employed and my spirit is guided by a kind and loving God. I am a greatful, recovering compulsive gambler and the journey was quite remarkable.

larry1952

amen

Post by larry1952 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Been in recovery 16 years and what an incredible difference. The contrasts of the way my life was when I was gambling as opposed to today are remarkable. I never dreamed that it was possible to stop gambling, nor did I have a clue as to how I could accomplish abstinance. I was in the deepest darkest hole one could imagine. I was emotionally, intellectually and spiritually crushed. Had no family left as I had alienated everyone and did not even attempt to have a girlfriend, as I did not want to subject anyone else to me.
Today, my life is not perfect, however I have learned, accepted and understand the 12 steps of recovery. I have all the things in life that I dreamed of as a younger man. Our family, including a precious 5 year old boy are thriving and happy. I am happily employed and my spirit is guided by a kind and loving God. I am a greatful, recovering compulsive gambler and the journey was quite remarkable.

larry1952

amen

Post by larry1952 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:34 pm