FCCG Interactive Forum Index
SearchSearch    Log inLog in     RegisterRegister

H.A.L.T. words to live by...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
horrorfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: H.A.L.T. words to live by... Reply with quote

H.A.L.T. is something i learned when i first came into recovery. Basically it means never make a decision when you are too hungry, angry, lonely or tired. It sounds simple but the meaning is very deep and should be adhered to at all times. When gambling, i never thought about the consequences of my actions, i always thought i was smarter than anyone and what ever decision i made was the correct one. This was far form the truth as people in recovery soon find out. All i did was hurt people and myself by by decisions and actions. I came to believe that i am not the smartest person, i need help to make important decisions in my life and i look for advice from people as to what course of action i should take. I no longer make rash decisions because i feel it the best thing to do at that time. I have been clean for 2 years and 4 months now and life keeps getting better. Is it all peaches and cream, of course not, but i have the support and the tools to get through difficult times and i get sound advice from people about decisions that i need to make. I urge all of you out there that are struggling with problems or decisions to step away from the problem before reacting and think about it first, get advice and make sure the outcome is favorable for all parties involved. I assure you, if you do things this way, you will feel better about yourself. It all comes down to this; do you want to be happy or do you want to be right? I'll take happy any day.........
sostampa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Where do I start? Reply with quote

A little history... I've already lost most of the important things in life, however I am at a point where I either change or lose the rest... My gambling has already caused my divorce about two years ago, and as a result has removed me from the two most precious things in my life, my daughters... I still see them, but the pain of not being there daily for them had sunk me into a depression that only perpetuated my gambling as I attempted to find a way to feel better... I am a professional with a VP title for my company and no I haven't lost my job yet, however I constantly worry about that... This job pays me well, however it has provided the means to continue gambling for the past five years... Now I am on the brink... I literally have $52 to my name, I am behind on my bills by about two weeks with every card at its limit and 30% APR's on average for all of them... I have heard many times that you don't reach out for help until you hit rock bottom and I would probably be the poster child for that saying... I had convinced myself that I would figure this out and didn't need help but it was just a matter of time...

I live in the Tampa area and had never gambled before in my life until the Hard Rock moved in to town... Worst thing that happened to me was having a drink with a friend who hit a jackpot while we were there... I couldn't believe it and the rest is history... I found the self exclusion information interesting and probably should approach the Hard Rock here to exclude myself... Who should be contacted there?

Any references for help in this area would be appreciated... Normally I would try to track them down myself, but honestly, I am so depressed that I can hardly function...

I would greatly appreciate any help... Thank you...
horrorfan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is help for you. There are counselors you can see and GA meetings to go to there are recovery workbooks that can help you. You can arrest this addiction if you really want it. I have been there, just like you, broken, feeling down, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. You will be given some resources that can help you. The best thing to do is take hold of them with an open mind. We all tried it "our" way and that didn't work out to good. Now try it the way that has helped so many people and see if your life gets better. An administrator will give you resources in a minute.

Please let me know how you are doing, i am on this site a lot and would love to chat with you.

Sincerely,
Horrorfan
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOSTampa,

Please contact us so we can supply you with resources. You can call our hotline at 1-888-236-4848, you can email me directly at bkongsvik@gamblinghelp.org or you can go to the home page of our website and click on the live chat box to speak directly with someone who can help you.

We can supply you with many resources to help, including counseling in your area, 12 step porgrams, financial credit counseling, literature and others.

We can help and help starts here. Please contact us.

Sincerely,
Brian Kongsvik
Florida Council on Compulsive Gambling
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FCCG Interactive Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: