Problem gambling specific programs and services offered through the 888-ADMIT-IT HelpLine include counseling service referrals provided through a variety of professional treatment options. The FCCG has developed an online problem gambling supports program titled “Online Program for Problem Gamblers (OPPG).” The core content for this program has been derived from experts in the field of problem gambling and is based on scientific literature of the issues most relevant for problem gamblers.
OPPG Program Overview
The OPPG is comprised of a total of 8 chapters of content. Each consists of a variety of interactive resources with videos, reading materials, interactive exercises, and self-appraisal assessment surveys throughout the program. You will have 60 days to complete the program, allowing for one chapter each week. This will give you time to apply concepts from each completed chapter before learning new information.
Chapter content topics and estimated length of time to complete each is provided as follows:
- Chapter 1 – “What is Problem Gambling?”: In this Chapter we define common gambling terminology, learn through shared problem gambling experiences of others through video testimonials, and discuss the continuum of gambling behavior along with the progressive nature of a gambling disorder. Chapter 1 is approximately 30 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#1) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 2 – “Self-Assessment Survey Tests”: Self-report measures are essential to assess the severity of problem gambling behavior, psychopathology, life satisfaction, impulsivity, gambling related consequences, cravings, shame, perceived emotional support, stress proneness, and substance abuse problems. After completion of Chapter 2, you will be provided with individual feedback on your results by a licensed mental health professional. Chapter 2 is approximately 45 minutes in length.
- Chapter 3 – “Perspectives on Problem Gambling”: Chapter 3 delves into various reasons why people gamble, information that helps us in understanding the neuroscience of problem gambling behaviors and how gambling activities affect the brain. Chapter 3 is approximately 12-15 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#2) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 4 – “How Boredom and Shame Interact with Problem Gambling”: Chapter 4 provides important information to help us understand motivations for gambling. This Chapter also examines emotional shame and relationships with boredom as a trigger for problem gambling behavior. Chapter 4 is approximately 22-25 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#3) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 5 – “Stress Coping Strategies for Problem Gamblers”: In this Chapter we gain a deeper understanding of stress and its relationship to problem gambling. Chapter 5 contains strategies to help reduce stress, as well as options to assist in adopting healthy coping styles. Chapter 5 is approximately 15 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#4) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 6 – “Using Mindfulness Approaches to Reduce Problem Gambling”: Chapter 6 explores what mindfulness is and how can it be applied in reducing problem gambling behaviors. It also explores the many benefits of using mindfulness as an effective strategy to cope with gambling-related cravings, stress, impulsivity, and emotional problems. Chapter 6 is approximately 1 hour and 35 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#5) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 7 – “Cultivating Gratitude”: Chapter 7 illustrates the benefits of gratitude in recovery and provides valuable information on how gratitude practice can help problem gamblers keep a healthy perspective about what matters most. Chapter 7 is approximately 12 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#6) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 8 – “Research on Medications for Problem Gambling”: Chapter 8 discusses field research on the use of medications in treating gambling disorder. This Chapter includes video testimony from leading Psychiatrists in the field of problem gambling regarding their perspectives on medications and problem gambling behavior. Chapter 8 is approximately 5 minutes in length and includes an Intermittent Self-Appraisal Survey (#7) containing 15 Questions.
- Chapter 9 – “Program Conclusion and Additional Resources”: Chapter 9 contains additional problem gambling recourses and important recommendations for you to use throughout your continued journey through recovery.
To learn more about OPPG and find out if you are eligible to enroll, contact the 24/7, Confidential, and Multilingual Problem Gambling HelpLine: 888-ADMIT-IT (888-236-4848)