Office Football Pools: The Numbers are Rising

News and Current Events

Moderators: Administrator, tammy rigsby

AJFCS

Office Football Pools: The Numbers are Rising

Post by AJFCS » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 pm

Recently, I caught up with my cousin, who had just transferred to one of the big 4 accounting firms based out of Atlanta. In his first day in the new office, his boss told him that "every successful accountant can navigate not only their clients' charts, but the fantasy football charts as well." He then proceeded to ask my cousin to throw $50 in their office football pool. My cousin felt a little timid and pressured, then reluctantly proceeded.

After doing a little research, I found that 51% of men surveyed admitted to placing bets in football pools every season and spend hours picking games and managing their fantasy leagues.

Curious to know what everyone's thoughts are on office gambling and work time being spent to manage these "pools?"

horrorfan

office pools

Post by horrorfan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:40 pm

This is a big problem. The costs it incurs to the workplace is massive. There is lower productivity in the office, much more time is spent picking teams or bragging to others if they won or not. Plus, there could be someone in the office that anonymously has a problem and feels pressured to participate so as not to be found out or to fit in with the "guys". Often times these office pools lead to private bets between co-workers which can adversely affect the atmosphere of the workplace. It is not legal to bet on sports unless you are in the state of Nevada, so why do people turn the other cheek to these supposedly harmless "office pools"

mramos

Post by mramos » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:30 pm

Because problem gambling is a "hidden addiction", companies should be responsible and do their part in protecting their employees by not tolerating gambling at the work place. In New York, the company I worked for would not allow alcohol at their christmas celebration, which was after-hours, because they could be held liable if someone got hurt or hurt someone else. Can't the same be said about gambling in the workplace? What if companies where held liable for loses or damages due to allowing gambling at the workplace or "turning the other cheek"?
Your beliefs become your thoughts.
Your thoughts become your words.
Your words become your actions.
Your actions become your habits.
Your habits become your values.
Your values become your destiny.
Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)

ehay

Post by ehay » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:13 pm

I think that if gambling of any kind is prohibited in the workplace then it is managements responsibility to monitor to make sure no one is breaking company rules. I also feel that no one should ever be pressured into gambling. I don't believe you always have to go with the flow.