My Story, My Journey. Life does get better!!

General Forum

Moderator: Administrator

horrorfan

My Story, My Journey. Life does get better!!

Post by horrorfan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:33 am

I started gambling at a very young age, playing poker with my friends. I never had a problem with it until I won a lot of money on the lottery a few years back. I started lying to family and friends to cover up my actions and really pushed everyone away that meant anything to me. Once I was in the grips of this illness, I started shirking all responsibilities. I wasn't paying bills, I was stealing from the company I worked for and went into a downward spiral that brought me to the point of suicide. I finally got help and today I am a better person. I am able to recognize the areas in my life that need attention like maturity, responsibility, family, friends. I no longer tuck my tail and run away to gambling when things don't go my way. I am able to face life and all its ups and downs. For those of oyu who don't think you can do it, that is what I thought as well, but once I truely wanted to quit gambling and start a better way of life, it was much easier for me. There is help and hope out there for each of you. If I can do it, so can you. Tell me your story, I want to hear it. :)

ProblemPoker

How is your recovery going?

Post by ProblemPoker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:29 pm

How is everything going. Are you still on track?

Kevin
www.problempoker.com

horrorfan

Post by horrorfan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:23 am

Yes, I am. Each day gets a little better and I look foward to things that I always took for granted when I was gambling. I have a much better relationship with family and friends. I am not lying anymore and lying was my life when I was active. I am trying to spread the word to others who are suffering, because there is hope even if it seems like there isn't. I never thought I would have gotten out of the mess I was in. Thanks for asking me. Are you in recovery?

horrorfan

2 years clean and feeling great

Post by horrorfan » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:24 pm

I just celebrated by 2nd anniversary with out placing a bet. It feels good to be where i am today. I often look back on my past and wonder how i got in so deep so fast. i don't dwell on the past because that is bad, but i never forget. Life is so good now, even better than before i was gambling. Being honest and open is just a better way of life and i can feel good about helping others that have the same addiction as me. It wasn't easy to get where i am and i have a long way to go in recovery (a whole lifetime) but i can take on challenges and problems without running away to gambling all the time. Life will still have it's ups and downs, it's victories and failures, but i have been given the tools to handle these situations now. Whne you first come into a recoevery program, you don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. You just hear people tell you that everything is going to get better and they were right. That is what i try to do now. I try to make people understand that there is a better way of life. I take things one day at a time and it has worked out pretty good!!!